The Communications, Development, and Events Associate is responsible for supporting International Student House leadership (Executive Director, Senior Director of External Affairs, and the Resident Management team) in the organization’s Board of Directors engagement, Development, communications, and event activities.
Senior Director, External Affairs
Responsibilities and Duties
Development and Fundraising
- Draft donor acknowledgments/receipts;
- Support planning, drafting, and sending appeals;
- Support in drafting communications for cultivation and fundraising events;
- Support list-building efforts for development purposes, while supporting management, maintenance and data integrity of the organization’s CRM;
- Assist with preparation of fundraising records for annual audit and Form 990;
- Coordinate and organize annual state fundraising certifications;
- Support major events, like annual Garden Party and Global Leadership Awards, with fundraising, communications, planning and logistics.
Events and Programs
- Provide assistance of logistics (coordinate catering needs, set-up, tear-down, etc.) for in-house, resident, and external programs and events, including Ambassador briefings, lectures, and cultural events;
- Serve as main point of contact for identified external program partners;
- Coordinate identified programs with external speakers and guests;
- Support the Resident Manager with potential outside rental clients for facility rental inquiries and assist clients with on-site logistics events;
- Manage RSVP’s and guest lists for special events with a high degree of professionalism.
- Draft content for and manage distribution on our social media platforms: Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Google Ads, others, as adopted and relevant;
- Coordinate and draft content for quarterly newsletters;
- Update website with drafted content, to include articles, program/event activity, and ensure information on website is up-to-date and relevant;
- Coordinate and publish resident and other blog posts;
- Support the development and implementation of the organization’s communications strategy;
- Support annual content planning for all mediums: social media, email, website, offline, video;
- Support development and implementation of the organization’s marketing plan;
- Support database/distribution list segmentation efforts, while supporting management, maintenance and data integrity.
Administrative and Executive Support
- Support drafting the Executive Director’s monthly report to the Board of Directors;
- Support drafting Board meeting agendas, policy, and support documents;
- Support with Board special initiatives, including standing and ad hoc committees;
- Organize supplemental materials for Board meetings;
- Support coordinating meetings of the Board of Directors and committees as needed;
- Support coordination of New Board member orientation every January;
- Manage the ordering, distribution, and organization of office supplies.
About the International Student House
International Student House of Washington, DC is a 85-year-old non-profit organization that fosters inter-cultural dialogue, life-long connections and global citizenship by providing an exceptional residential experience to a highly diversified international community of graduate students, interns and visiting scholars. Located in the dynamic and vibrant Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, the turn of the century Tudor-style mansion offers elegant common spaces for study, relaxation and social interaction among the resident scholars. The House is a home away from home where approximately 100 residents live, work and dine together in a safe and supportive environment. Over 15,500 individuals from more than 140 countries, including the United States, have passed through the doors of the International Student House since its founding.
- Occasionally attend meetings and events outside of the office and on weekends, and evenings;
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- B.A. in communications, journalism, media, marketing, international relations, or related field with an emphasis on project management, social media, content marketing, fundraising, or similar areas;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong experience with MS Office, web-based communications, basic HTML and social media platforms;
- Excellent time management and scheduling skills, as well as attention to detail;
- Excellent project management, execution, and organizational skills;
- Creative and experienced at developing content, campaigns and collateral;
- Knowledgeable working with CRM platforms such as Salsa CRM and Salsa Engage;
- Knowledgeable working with marketing automation platforms such as Hubspot;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Understanding of graphic design principles and publication design;
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to shifting priorities;
- Ability to work well with others and support a team;
- Ability to set priorities when multiple demands are present.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least three (3) years of professional experience in a nonprofit or membership organization;
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Great “can-do” attitude with a desire to innovate, develop, and implement;
- International experience and/or languages a plus.