International Student House COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
Full vaccination within the first six weeks of beginning your residency at International Student House is generally required. Exceptions to our vaccination policy will be considered on a case-by-case basis and any applicant excused from this requirement must adhere to additional health and safety protocols not required for fully-vaccinated residents, including those relating to masking and physical distancing.
Do I have to quarantine if I am fully vaccinated?
We expect International Student House, DC residents to follow CDC and DC Health travel guidance for COVID-19. The CDC does not recommend any quarantine for fully vaccinated travelers. A COVID-19 viral test is recommended 3-5 days after your arrival in DC. And always self-monitor/isolate when you start to feel sick.
What if I arrive at the House unvaccinated?
Health guidance for COVID-19 is constantly changing, please visit the CDC and DC Health sites for the most up to date guidance. As of July 27, 2021, if you are unvaccinated and traveling internationally or domestically the CDC suggests the following after your arrival in DC:
- Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
- Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.
- If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
- If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
- Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
- Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
What do you mean by a quarantine, does this mean I can’t go to class?
While you are “home” during your first 14 days at the House, you should be in a resident room most of the time except for meal pick up and entering/exiting the building. You are allowed to go on walks, doctor visits, pick up food at a grocery store, and attend classes/work because those are all essential activities.
Reservations start and stop on the 1st or 15th of each month. You can check in any day after the reservation start date but are financially responsible for the full reservation. Here are some examples:
- If you arrive in DC on July 10th, your start date will be July 1. In this example, you will pay for a full month.
- If you arrive in DC on July 16th, your start date will be July 15. In this example. you will pay for half of a month on a pro-rated nightly rate.
- If you leave DC September 14, your end date will be September 15. In this example, you will pay for half of a month on a pro-rated nightly rate.
- And finally, if you leave DC on September 20, your end date would be October 1. In this example, you will pay for a full month.
What if I need to cancel my reservation because I am no longer able to get to DC?
If you are canceling 45 days or more before your reservation start date, we are able to refund the full deposit amount and you will not be charged any room and board fees.
If you need to cancel within 45 days notice of your reservation, we are not able to refund the deposit amount, however you will not be charged any room and board fees.
My flight lands really early in the morning, when can I check in?
You are able to check in any time after 3pm on the first day of your reservation. Here are a few examples:
Here’s the easy example: Your reservation starts March 1 and your flight arrives at 4am on March 2, you are welcome to check into the House directly after arriving!
Here’s the not so easy example: Your reservation starts March 1 and your flight lands at 4am on March 1, you might not be able to check in until 3pm later in the day. You are welcome to arrive at the House and relax in the common areas, however we are not able to guarantee the room will be ready because a current resident has until 10am to checkout of the space, our team will then clean the space and have the room ready by 3pm.
Please email Jennifer Simpson, Resident Manager if you have any questions or concerns.
I recently arrived in DC but found a free place to say in DC, how do I cancel my reservation?
We can’t beat a free place to stay! Before you make any changes to your reservation, please familiarize with the House’s policy on shortening your stay:
A 45 days notice is required prior to departure if the checkout date changes from that on the Financial Responsibility Agreement. Be sure to email Jennifer Simpson, Resident Manager within 45 days before the revised departure date.
If departing earlier than the reservation end date listed in the Financial Responsibility Agreement, the House will hold your deposit and charge you up to 45 days from when notice is given of an early departure. Sometimes residents choose this option, especially if they found a free place to stay in the area.
I really like living at the House, how can I extend my reservation?
Let us know as soon as possible. In most situations, we are able to extend reservations, however there are times we are fully booked and cannot guarantee that residents can stay in the same room if an extension is given.
Please email all notifications of changes to Jennifer Simpson, Resident Manager